Friday, September 15, 2006

I am going to be somewhat of a Guinea Pig

Well I went to go for my 2nd eye surgery yesterday and when she looked at my eye she chose not to do it. What the lazer surgery was for was to zap the vessles in the back of my eye that were leaking and stop them from bleeding in the back of my eye. Looks like the first lazer did it's job. So then I am sitting there thinking why can't I see then but she answered my question before I asked. The reason is because I still have a pool of "liquid" as she called it sitting at the back of my eye which is why I have absolutley no central vision in that eye - no joke it was like how many fingers and the answer was I can't even see your hand. Anyway Dr. Baziuk then went on to tell me a few options I had and the cheapest one that from what I have been researching has a GREAT outcome but still very experimental is called Avastin. It is a drug used in colon and rectal cancer patience and don't even ask me how they figured out that it helps your eyes but if it helps me see then I am willing to pay the 200 bucks a needle. I would have to have 2-4 treatments, 1 every 6-8 weeks. It is not your every day needle in the arm though - oh no - it's IN MY EYE BALL. I considered posting a picture of the treatment on here but I thought perhaps you are sqeamish. If you are not you can go on google and check it out

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=avastin%20in%20the%20eye&sa=N&tab=wi

all I did was type in avastin in the eye and clicked on images and boom there ya go. So I have to go for my 3rd Fluorescein angiography since march on October 17th (it is a test where they inject you with dye and photograph the back and inside of your eye) and then I will either need another lazer AND the avastin or just the avastin. If the lazer is needed it will be Oct 26 if it is just the needle it's the 19th

oh the drama one eye ball can produce - sigh

from my perspective...i just wanna see

No comments: